A Brief History of Christian Educationat St. Paul's, Brownsville
A full-time Lutheran Elementary School was established in 1924. It was typical of the one room white frame schools found throughout this area. Two years later, Mr. Arnold F. Wilbrecht was installed as teacher, organist, and choir director. He would serve in all these roles until his retirement in 1962.
In 1958 two classrooms were built onto the back of the church. The building was constructed by Arnold Ewerdt at a cost of $28,000. These rooms then served as our kindergarten and primary grade classrooms. Two more classrooms and office space were added to the school in 1970. The cost was $65,000. Our intermediate and upper grade classes were moved into these new classrooms.
Kindergarten classes were begun in the early 1970s and the Early Childhood program was later expanded to include preK-3 and 4. With the closing of the school Room 3 is currently being used as the Pastor's office and Bible classes and meetings in Room 4.
In 1978, the congregation erected a gymnasium/fellowship hall at a cost of $160,000. Besides providing the congregation with a room for larger gatherings, it also provided our sports-minded students with a facility for playing indoor sports. This addition included a kitchen, locker rooms, and junior high school sized basketball court. The fellowship hall is now used for large gatherings as funerals, a practice area for various sporting groups, and a winter walking program.
Plans are being made to remodel Room 1 to provide for a new Pastor's office, a counseling area, a large workroom and banner storage. Room 2 will be refurbished for use as an after-church gathering area for refreshments and other special events.
Copyright 2019 St. PaulsEvangelical Lutheran Church and School. All Rights Reserved.